Friday, August 9, 2019

Lindgren Family - Florie Lindgren First Family Letter page 1

September 15, 1971

Dear Anne, John, Blair and Brent:

How nice to hear from you! And with such a newsy letter. Thank you so very much. I read it to Gurly on the phone this a.m. and we enjoyed it together. She is so fond of all of you - she is really family.

I found this to be the only paper I had at home but thought I could be sure of getting a letter off to you this way as I usually get all tied up at the office. Am retiring at end of yr. so that should all change. My boss made a request of the Bd. of Directors forme to work through'72 but they they said it could not be done - I worked an extra yr as it is and I would as soon, if not rather, leave, but just didn't like to refuse his request. It will seem odd to have a little time after getting up every working day for 42 yrs. and going into 610 South Broadway - a little overdue in terminating I should or would say.

You know when we were kids not many pictures were taken at least when they got down to child #4 (Carl) and #5 (me). I went thru the relics and found the enclosed. Put a few notes on the back. During summer of 1917 the older "kids" in the family talked Grandma Lindgren in chaperoning a group of us in Ontario all summer while we worked at a fruit cannery. I was just 11 but Iworked there too and still have a scar to show for it - cut finger while halving apricots. So all the Ontario, Calif. pictures are taken at that time.

The picture in the Ford was taken one Sunday when 15 of us actually rode in it - even straddling the radiator - from Ontario to San Dimas Canyon - perhaps 20 miles - and believe we were a sight to behold. The car belonged to Mr. Rathbun who owned a dry goods store on Pico Blvd. and whose family (Leonare and Ted) own (XX) quite a store in North Hollywood - well known and excellent merchandise - a dept. store. Carl is on the front of the car and Bob on RF fender. Think I am at or near driver's seat. That is Mr. Rathbun next to me. Grandma Lindgren is partially covered by my head. Guess Grandpa Lindgren came up for Sun. and he is in back with Margaret. Nina is in rear by Mr. Rathbun and Linea in front. The girls you don't recognize are Leonore R. and Florence Cummings.

In the one picture Harry is doing a sort of spread eagle between apt. house and next bldg. while in the one with Carl next to apt. house bld., Carl is jumping across (how to keep parents from growing old!). Oh yes, and to add a few grey hairs, how do you like the pole sitters. That house sleeping porches on either side and we used to climb out and run all over the roof. No one ever fell off, however, I think about the cutest picture of Carl is the shy one sitting on front lawn with Nina, Linea and Margaret - dated approx. 1913.

Thought I would send the one of Grandpa Lindgren, Linea and Harry - circa 1903 - along just to give you an idea what was being worn in moustache line. I had an extra family picture - which I never did like - and am sending it along for a museum piece. This was taken just before Harry went to sea as wireless op. in 1919. Gee, were we sober. Bob needed new shoes. Isn't Carl handsome in the snow pic. Also inthe photo - after his hair turned wavey. That it for pictures and all I could find.
  1.
©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy, 2019 - 2020. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without express written permission from the owner.

1 comment:

  1. I just have to say these are PRECIOUS! My children are Elin Linea Lindgrens' Grands and if anyone has the images she speaks about in this letter I would LOVE to see them!

    sdbousson@aol.com

    ReplyDelete