Saturday, December 19, 2020

Lindgren Family - Brian Carl Lindgren - page 59

We spent the night in the Emergency Department. After some testing Dr. came in and said that Brian could go home or stay. We told him that we had been talking, and that we should tell him that his double vision had been acting up lately. We told him he had been to the Dr. Dodds the Ophthamologist, and he had told us to come back if the double vision got worse - which it hadn't.

So Brian ended up with a CT scan of his head. The doc came in and
said something to the effect "You aren't going anywhere. I am canceling your discharge! You've a left cerebral infarct! I'm admitting you to neuro!" 

Brian said "what is that!" I said "You had a stroke!" I stayed with Brian until he got into his room. I really don't even remember driving home.

I went to work the next day and checked on Brian before, during and after. The picture to the right is how I found him on Wednesday the 5th. [He actually had a much redder face than the picture shows.] I told my friend Tamara the Manager of Neuro, "I am this close to calling a Code H."[That code means everyone pertinent in the hospital - including lap ect... - come to this room now before this patient codes!"] 

I went back to work and told everyone what was going on. So I clocked out and went back to Brian's room. I got there as the hospitalist was leaving and talking with someone. He then got on the phone.

Dr. Dowell's Nurse Practitioner came in and interviewed Brian and I for about a half hour. Then 
Dr. Dowell came in. He is an excellent Infectious Disease physician. He interviewed us both - he is so awesome. After 30 minutes plus, he said that he had a couple of ideas and wanted to run them by Dr. Akiode. Dr. Akiode was the Intensivist Pulmonologist who had order antibiotics for Brian thinking he might be developing early pneumonia.

I had left when Dr. Akiode had come by but Andrew was there. He had her write Brian's new "working diagnosis" on the white board: "Myasthenia Gravis".

Dr. Wheeler's "student" came in next and did a bunch of neuro tests on Brian. The next MD who came in and talked with us was Dr. Wheeler. He repeated the tests the student had just performed to see for himself. I had read up on Myasthenia Gravis, so I had an idea as to what he was doing. He told us that they would do blood tests on Brian, but he, Wheeler was sure that Brian was positive for MG. 

He added that the remedy - not cure - for MG was ImmunoGlobulin intravenously. The infusion would be over 8 hours and the hospital had none of it on hand. And it was very expensive. [I do not know how many liters is typically given a patient for treatment of various diseases, but a year supply costs $50,000.00 to $100,000.00.] Brian ended up with 8 liters - 1 a day.

Brian's would be on 6 June. By the way - not only is June 6 the anniversary of D-Day, but it is also Brian's mother's birthday.

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy. 2018 - 2025. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without the express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment