Sunday, September 18, 2022

Lindgren Family - Carl Herbert Lindgren - Letter to Anne

This letter was sent to me by Anne Christine Lindgren Davison. It is a letter her father, Carl Herbert Lindgren sent to here in 1962 while Anne, John, and Blair were living in Scotland. This letter reads as:
Dear Kids                    Sept. 10, 62
 
     Well here is the first one and I do admit that I should have written you before this late date. But as you know I am a notoriously poor correspondent and mother is just the opposite. I remember a comment of my Fathers when we were in El Dorado, shortly after we were married. He said she wrote the most interesting letters and could say so much about nothing. I can't.

     Seems so long ago that you both left and probably seems longer to you, but it won't be long before you will be headed home again.

     We have been very busy at the plant even though our volume of business is not up to par. We are always busiest in the Enginering Dept. when sales are off, that is the time when we design new volves to off-set sales loss in other lines. Right now we are revamping one line of valves so that we can be more competetive, This is normally a high volume line so we have to lop off some costs to the extent of about 20%.

     We had a real nice trip to Sequoia and enjoyed it throughly. Brian was on crutches and Mother out of wind (too many cigarettes).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Wished that I could get her to quit. Thats not to easy as I tried to quit for about 20 years before I made it. Haven't had one for four years. Anyway Karen and I were the only ones left to do any hiking when we climbed to the high point on Morro Rock (solid Granite) She had me going.

     I guess Mom told you that we stopped in at Tom and Larry Gurney's on the way back. there are doing real well working for their Dad, but bare land, clearing it, running irrigation lines and planting orange tree. They have their own nursery, which is just an open field, where they plant and bud their own trees. Save at least 50% on cost of trees. They bought 160 acres of clear land, improved it, planted orange trees and sold it for $280,000 after paying $160,000 for the bare land. I think they must have cleared $50,000 (my guess).

     Irvine Dunm let me read a letter he received from Bob and Grace, written since they saw you. Said they enjoyed seeing you both and spending the time to-gether with you both. Guess he doesnt like the rain there too much either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     

2

     We received a short letter from Grace yesterday. Said how well you looked and how much they enjoyed their visit with you and John. She also mentioned hos impressed Keith was with the many beautiful Gardens in Scotland. I guess this is the compensation for all the rain. I think that Bob and Grace are very gracious people.

     Connie and Duane will have been gone two weeks next Sunday. He sould get his degree in two years. Duane seems to think that Fresno State has a good agricultural College. They are only about 35 miles from Tom and Larrys. Tom says that he can get Duane a job there with one of the Agriculture Suppliers during Christmas and the Summer Holidays. This will be good because he can get acquainted with the farming people around Fresno. I think he would like to stay in that part of the country when he is through school. I was a little concerned several months ago that he might not finish college but I feel more assured now that he will finish. I don't think Connie would enjoy farm life. He did a real good 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     

Job with his corn this summer as far as quality was concerned. He planted two and a half acres. The price dropped about half way through the picking, and he only cleared about $150  when he had hoped for about $400. However, it was good experience for him. I think he said he picked about 1500 dozen. It was sure good eating and wished that we could have sent some over to you.

     Brian has just started getting around without his crutches. Sure fixed me up for summer help in the yard. Had to use the last week of my vacation weeding and spraying plus mowing the Lawn.

Mon, 17

     We planted tomatoes again this year and have been getting more than we can eat. Yesterday I picked about 5 pounds, nice, big and Juicy also have several plants of the small one and should be eating them into December.

     Florie just arrived home last nite from a weeks trip on the Colorado, like last year. Except their trip was about 100 miles[from where] the canyons were narrower. They use rubber boats, there of three of the all tied to-gether.

     Shortly after the trip started, she slipped and fell, hitting the back of her head on the rock. They had several doctors on trip, had to take seven stitches.

     We very much enjoyed Geo. Brown, the Pict. and news from over there.

     Well I'd better get this off to-day as it is beginning to be ancient history.

     We love you all very much(all three or four of you) and I'll try not to wait so long next time.  Love Dad 

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy. 2018 - 2029. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without the express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment